Saturday, August 23, 2014

SAF Time After Time Challenge...

Stamp-a-Faire is underway, and if you're not sure what I'm referring to, go to Nichole's blog for more info on today's FREE stamping event and challenges! Come over and chat with us!


For this challenge, we were asked to find an old card we wanted to give an "overhaul" to. I chose this one that I made back in 2009. I had a really hard time deciding which one to use, because to be honest, my old cards don't usually inspire me that much. Do you feel that way too?

But this one inspired me today. I liked the blocks of interest. I decided to add more layers to my blocks, instead of just using a flat patterned paper in each. I love layers!

Below is my makeover card...

The "blocked effect" was something I wanted to keep on this card. I wanted to have something in each of four quadrants. I used Life Is Beautiful and Beautiful Butterflies stamp sets and the Beautiful Butterflies dies. First, I cut out some squares of white paper and rounded the corners, then I cut out two of each of these butterflies with white cardstock, one was stamped with a dark gray ink and one was stamped with pink ink (Sweet Blush).

Two of the butterflies were also cut from polkadot vellum, and I cut a seal shape using the seal die that came in the Luxe Letterpress - Make It Market kit. Three of the layers were stitched together.

Then they were all stacked together and adhered. Five layers for each butterfly square. I know. Five. But aren't they cute!

I stamped part of the sentiment from Life Is Beautiful in the lower corner and tied on red twine, like the original card. A flower sticker and little chalkboard tag were added to the top.
Last, I stamped and embossed "beautiful" from Life Is Beautiful on vellum, trimmed it out and adhered it over the chalkboard tag, and finished stamping the sentiment. The butterflies were offset slightly from the gray ones in the background, so you could see the touch of gray better back there!
What makes this card better than the original?

I suppose it's a matter of preference, but I love the extra layers of interest and the lighter, more elegant look. I also feel like the randomness of the tilted butterflies and title add a bit of unexpectedness to the card. Straight lines can sometimes feel too harsh and predictable to me. I think my style has changed in that I'm willing to put more thought into my cards, add more colors, patterns and interesting details now. Creating texture is important to me. In design, texture is an element that adds interest by creating depth. Layers and details give the eye something to soak in! Also, working with layers allows you to add more colors into your palette for that particular card. One note though: make sure you allow some white space for your eye to rest.

Thanks for reading, hope you are having a creative Stamp-a-Faire day!


Beautiful World card:
STAMPS: Life Is Beautiful, Beautiful Butterflies
INK: Sweet Blush, True Black by PTI, Soft Granite by Hero Arts
PAPER: Soft Stone, white, vellum - Michaels, green patterned paper - Open Road Drive In by Crate Paper
DIES: Beautiful Butterflies dies, seal die from Luxe Letterpress Make It Market kit
OTHER: machine stitching, white embossing powder, red twine, DIY Shop tag by American Crafts (chalkboard tag), Vintage Bliss Fundamentals Cardstock Stickers by Simple Stories (flower).
______

For more inspiration, stop by to see how the other design team members revamped their older cards as well:

8 comments:

Carol Held said...

This is remarkable,. I'm enjoying this so much. I love your style, and class in card making! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Jill Norwood said...

Danielle love your style! So fun to see earlier cards and how styles change! I need to try this too! So fun! :)

mamashops said...

Beautiful card! I especially love how you stamped 'beautiful' on vellum and then fussy cut it.

Holly Saveur said...

OH my what a stunning card so gorgeous..def. like the new one the best..LOVE your style!

Karen Giron said...

This is beautiful! I love the vellum sentiment and the stitching on the butterflies. Just gorgeous! I'm a little scared to go back and look at my old cards - eek! It was so nice to meet you this week! I hope we can all get together again soon.

jintyoo7 said...

Oh my, what a transformation! Loved the layout of your original, but the layered butterflies, vellum sentiment and detailing are stunning :)

Diana K said...

Just fell off my chair! Your vellum sentiment, large red twine "stitch", chalkboard tag - do you want me to keep going on? Love.

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I totally remember loving that Crate Paper patterned paper and I think I had the same alphabet stamps (okay, I still have them -- were they the PSX ones that were on wooden pegs?)
Did you know you were the one to inspire me to make cards, Dani, when we were on CMK together? I loved all of your cards then (& seriously, nothing has changed!) I love your fun style and how you continue to experiment with different techniques, but still stay true to your style.
Oh, love the redo, too, by the way!